Sunday, October 31, 2010

Week 2-Shutter Speed

Okay. I'll start out by giving a fair warning. I think this week was terrible for me and my pictures. LoL. I don't know why. I think looking at all the other classmates' pictures...they're all good examples, as well as professional looking...mine....not so much. I think I get too focused on the concept we learn and forget about creativity! Boo me! :)



FROZEN ACTION

..................................................




1/160 F5 ISO 1000


1/160 F5.6 ISO 1000



My two boys. I don't like where/how I cropped the pictures. I was too busy following them around the house.. They chase like mad men. You'd never know two small things could run so fast and bark so dang LOUD! I used a higher ISO on these since I was indoors, after dusk, trying my best to avoid using flash!






IMPLIED MOTION

..................................................

1/25 F5.3 ISO 1000


1/13 F10 ISO 1000

Emma at bath time. The first photo she is telling me "No No Oda" (see the next post for details if you care :). The second one is just a cute smile next to the blurred water. She loves bath time. Thank goodness! I used a high ISO since I was in a windowless bathroom. To make matters even worse, a bulb burnt out while we were in there. See my comment below on "luck"..make sense? LoL.



PANNING

...................................................

1/50 F36 ISO 400
Okay, Brooke, you said so yourself...Panning takes a little bit of luck. Well, I laughed when you said that because I'm pretty sure that's a word that does not apply to my life, in any aspect...EVER. I tried a million scenario's. This was the best I could get (and really, only his foot is focused LoL). I tried cars. Random cyclists. Co-workers on scooters. Emma swinging. Dogs chasing balls in the yard & the list goes on. Max, my adorable neighbor, was so excited to help me. He was originally on his scooter riding around from house to house. Then, his mom asked him to run..he started and stopped half way because he needed to take his coat off...he can't "run fast with it, it's too big". So, poor litle guy probably froze his toosh off..& this is what I got. He was pretty proud to help me take pictures though. He said "they've gotta be good, I ran so fast"!

5 comments:

  1. Rachel, I think we all struggled with panning this week...I took loads of panning shots too and only got one that I thought was close to what it was supposed to be...but Brooke said it was tricky! Oh, and that shot of Emma in the tub with her coy little smile - priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, the dogs caught in mid air are great. Good job. And I love the motion of your little girl's hand.....sweet little thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are great! The photos of the dogs are pretty sweet. You did a great job of freezing the action there! I also really love the bath time pic with the running water. And panning is pretty perplexing. But one day we'll figure it out. At least I hope so. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a great job. You're too hard on yourself. The panning shot...well, I think we all struggled here. Hopefully we'll figure this "trick" out soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little neighbor is a funny kid! Loved his comment! Glad he could help you out!

    Congrats on getting frozen images inside with no flash! Hooray!

    Kids give lots of opportunities for implied motion! I think the first shot helps to show her energy with the blurred hands, as I'm sure she's moving with lots of excitement! And great intense blur of the water coming from the tap! Now just imagine what you can do at your next exotic vacation with cool waterfalls :)

    I probably shouldn't have used the word "luck" ! I know you can get a great panning shot Rachel! Even if you don't think you're lucky! You have to consider the speed of your subject and the speed of your shutter, and What type of subject you're dealing with helps as well. for example, a bike would be easier to pan than a runner because they are smoothly staying in the same plane horizontally vs the runner who is probably bouncing a bit more--thus making sharper images a little more challenging. Make sense?

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete