Tuesday, July 6, 2010

June


June was a tough month for us...or maybe just me.

Emma got sick one (Sunday) night..just vomiting constantly. Also had a little bout of diarrhea. I figured it was likely just a 24 hour bug or something along those lines. Monday rolls around. She's totally fine. Her laughing, giggling, smiling, jabbering self. Tuesday. Herself. Wednesday morning. I woke up before her to get everything ready to go play with Britney & Hayden, got a bottle ready to feed her and take off for work. She usually is pretty eager to get that bottle first thing.. I sit down, turn the news on, and try to give her the bottle and she just pushes it away like she does when she is finished. I thought, odd, but okay, we'll run ya down the street to Hayden's and she can feed ya. So in her car seat and off we go. We get to Britney's and she still wouldn't eat. So, I tried a little banana..she ate it. So, I asked Britney to feed her the rest of her banana's, then try her bottle. She tried. She had 2 Shrek vomits and lost every bit. So Britney made her another bottle and tried after a little mid-morning nap. Same thing. Shrek took over her body I swear. So, I left work and went to the store for more fruit and some pedialyte. I called her pedi on my way, and he said he'd like to see her with her not keeping anything down. So, we went in. He figured she had the stomach flu. Nothing you can do for them. It's a virus, just has to play it's way out. He told us to feed her 2 tablespoons of pedialyte every 20 minutes to keep her hydrated. That small of an amount, she would digest it and her body wouldn't recognize there was anything to get rid of (vomit). Well, that didn't work. Not even one tablespoon would stay down. She would scream and cry and just looked sick and in pain. So I tried going down to a teaspoon..It worked, so we worked our way up slowly..trying to keep her hydrated enough to stay out of the ER!
Thursday, my doctors day off (they always have days off that I need them...this..when I went into labor..LoL). So, I took her to see the on call doctor all the way on the opposite side of the valley because she was STILL not keeping any food down...barely keeping pedialyte. He checked to make sure she wasn't dehydrated, etc. He told me she had Rotavirus. They usually get bouts of in in the early Summer time. Yes, there is a vaccine, but it got recalled just around the time Emma was 2 months. By the time it became available again, she was too old to start the series of shots. SAD! :( Luckily, Hayden the little girl Emma is around, got it and didn't ever get it.
Anyways, this on call doctor said give it 24 more hours of not eating..if she still won't she'd need to go to the ER for an IV, etc. I'm pretty sure these few days were more difficult for me. I cried a lot. It is so hard to see them even more helpless than they already are as babies. Especially when I have had such a happy, playful baby. She went to staring at walls, pale, fussy, and many other opposites to her normal personality. I hated it. So, a week of her being sick before she started to eat normal amounts of food again. She lost over a pound, which she doesn't have any lbs to loose!
So, good news, Emma was all better for Father's Day! Bad news, Adam got it. He was in sick and in bed for a few days. He couldn't move or eat. He was miserable. He said he felt like he was being a bigger baby than Emma was..she was still a trooper, and she couldn't take drugs like he could! LoL. First Father's Day for Adam=Sucky and sick with Rotavirus. Awesome.
FINALLY everyone is better. We had to take Emma to Primary Children's hospital on the 24th. She saw a neurologist to try and see what her little episodes were just after her 4 month vaccines. They said she was developing right on track and even a little a head of most babies her age. They pretty much told me I was nuts and nothing really happened. They ordered to do an EEG, to "calm me" and "reassure" things were okay. Well, today I called and got the EEG results. They were "a little abnormal" and showed potential for a underlying seizer disease. Great.
MOTHERS: ALWAYS LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCTS! YOU KNOW WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH YOUR BABIES. INSIST UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON!
My Pedi told me it was nothing. So did the neurologists. I know it could still be "nothing" (nothing serious anyways), and I am going to try and not worry until we KNOW. But, I am glad I persisted on getting her in, in the first place! We have an MRI scheduled for Next Wednesday morning. A follow up with a neurologist later in the afternoon with the results. So, it will be another long day for Emma & mommy.
Long story short (too late, I know), it's been emotionally exhausting for me this month. I'm a worry wort as it is. Add this precious baby to it all, and the list can go on forever! I love her with all my heart. I pray and pray for her and her well being. I have faith. I know she will be okay and we have available options no matter the outcome. Please keep her in your prayers as well. I'll keep everyone updated on her appointment next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment